Welcome to the Holcomb Schools Health Services page. The information contained on this page can also be found in your Parent/Student Handbook that you received at your child's initial enrollment.

We look forward to working with your children to help keep them healthy and happy while they are at school. Health is a vital component of education because healthy children learn better!

The most important thing you can do is to keep the office informed of your current phone number and address, as well as other emergency contacts. This allows us to reach you quickly and easily in the event of an illness or injury.

Occasionally when you are calling your child in sick, we may request that you tell us what symptoms your child is having. This helps us keep track of current illnesses prevalent within the school as well as reporting required by the State of Kansas. Any information shared will only be symptoms, not your child’s personal information.

Thank you for taking time to review the content of the Health Care Policy. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to contact our office or any other member of the administrative staff.

Please click on the links below for more information.

To access required forms, please go to the "Documents" tab on the main menu page.  Select "District" "Health Services" and "Health Forms".  You will be able to print any forms you need from there.

Thank you

Jessica Humphrey, RN


Stacy Cundiff, RN
School Nurses

General Health Information

Please notify the school if your child has any health condition that could potentially affect his or her school day. You will fill out a health history form during your child’s initial enrollment. If something changes with your child’s health status, please call us to let us know. If your child has a serious health concern, such as asthma, seizures, or diabetes, a classroom health care plan will be completed.

We keep a complete health record for each student in the district. This record consists of the following information. **Denotes these records are required by law.

  • Birth Certificate **
  • Immunization records **
  • Physical ** - on district page under nurses tab under forms
  • Completed health history--district page under nurses tab under forms health inventory
    Social Security Card
  • Annual vision and hearing information
  • Other miscellaneous documents including medication and food allergy forms--district page then to nurse then to forms Medication form or Food Allergy form

The documents marked with ** which are required by law must be presented during enrollment. No student, whether new or returning, will be allowed entry into school on the first day without the required documentation. This prevents us from having to exclude the students during the school year.


It is federal law that we have a copy of your child’s STATE ISSUED birth certificate on file. The birth letter provided by the hospital will not work. If we do not receive this, we are required to notify law enforcement. This is in compliance with the missing and exploited person’s act. An application for birth certificate may be obtained at http://www.kdheks.gov/vital/birth.html.


Immunizations are required to attend any Kansas school. You must provide a current immunization record at time of enrollment as well as providing an updated record with each immunization your child receives. Immunization requirements may change yearly as updated by the State of Kansas. Please check for updates yearly. A summary of current immunization requirements can be reviewed at: Immunization Sheet

WebIZ is the state program used to document and track childhood immunizations in our state. The state has created a database of immunizations for residents of Kansas. This database is continually updated by the office of Vital Statistics, health departments, physician offices, schools, and other vaccine providers. On the back of your child’s student information sheet that you fill out at enrollment please check the line authorizing the school to obtain these on-line records. This is a terrific resource for school nurses because it allows us access to immunization information as soon as it is entered by your provider. More information about WebIZ can be obtained at: http://www.kdheks.gov/immunize/webiz.html


Physicals are required for all Preschool and Kindergarten students as well as for all new students up to the age of nine entering Kansas schools for the first time. We must have a physical on file for each student. The physical must be done within 12 months prior to school entry. All students participating in sports are required to have a Kansas School Activities Association physical. Most clinics and physicians offices have both of these on file. A blank sports physical may be printed at: http://www.kshsaa.org/FORMS/form-ppe.pdf.


Students at school are exposed to viruses and upper respiratory infections in the school population.

Guidelines were developed for administration of medication during school time with the health and safety of the student in mind. The following guidelines address family/school cooperation and are in compliance with state law and USD #363 Board Policy (JGFGB Administration of Medication):

  1. Written request on a USD 363 medication form from the physician or dentist must accompany all prescription medication to be administered at school. “Over-the-counter drugs" such as aspirin, Tylenol, and cough medicine must also be accompanied by written parent/guardian authorization to be given at school. All medications are to be kept in the office and administered by the office or nurse.
  2. Written request from the parent/guardian should accompany all medication. Forms may be found on the district website.
  3. The official prescription container should accompany all medication. Two containers, one for home and one for school can be requested from the pharmacist.
  4. Over-the-counter medications should not be maintained on any school premises, including athletic areas, unless a prescription is provided along with written permission to administer.

Please follow these guidelines when considering the health care of your child. Thank you for your help in this area. If you have any questions concerning administration of medication at school please call our school nurse, Stacy Cundiff, R.N. A USD 363 Medication/Health Care Services Permission Form must be filled out by the student and on file with the school nurse. This must be updated by a licensed health care provider at the beginning of each school year.

Students are prohibited from giving drugs of any type to other students. Students in possession of prescription drugs which have not been prescribed for the user by a physician or dentist are in violation of the Board of Education Policy on drugs.

The responsibility for fulfilling a physician's prescription rests with the student and the parent. The school is responsible only for providing an opportunity for them to carry out the administering of the prescriptions.


Immunizations are required to attend any Kansas school. You must provide a current immunization record at time of enrollment as well as provide an updated record with each immunization your child receives. Immunization is tracked by our state through WebIZ and USD 363 uses this service.

***Your signature acknowledging receipt of this handbook serves as permission to track your immunizations.***

Students not having proper immunizations may be excluded from school. JGCB KASB Board Policy: Students who fail to provide the documentation required by law may be excluded from school until statutory requirements are satisfied. Notice of exclusion shall be given to the parents/guardians as prescribed by law. Students who are not immunized against a particular disease(es) may be excluded from school during any outbreak.



When you call the school to report your child as absent. Please tell the secretary the reason, (for example Pink eye, Lice, Chicken Pox, Flu, Stomach issues, or Fever) so in case it is contagious we need to other students.

Your child must stay home for any of the following:

  1. Chickenpox- (Varicella) - Until all lesions have formed a scabs or crusts over (usually 5-7 days after the onset of rash.
  2. Pink-eye (Bacterial conjunctivitis) – Until 24 hours after antibiotic treatment has been initiated.
  3. Influenza- (Seasonal or other) - Until 24 hours fever free without the use of medication to reduce fever.
  4. Head Lice (Pediculosis) - Until Prescribed medical treatment has been completed and ALL nits are removed. (Nits, RID, Prescription Sklice)
  5. Ringworms (Tinea) - Until treatment has been initiated, but must avoid all activities that involve skin to skin contact until lesions are healed.
  6. Shingles (Herpes Zoster) - Until all exposed lesions have crusted. Cover all lesions you are able to be cover.
  7. Mononucleosis - Until fever is gone for 24 hours without use of medication. Must have a doctor’s note stating when activity may be resumed such as PE
  8. Staph & Strep Infections - Until on antibiotic treatment and does not have a fever for 24 hours.
  9. Vomiting and or Diarrhea - until 24 hours free of vomiting or diarrhea and do not a fever.
  10. Colds and or Cough - If your child is experiencing severe cold symptoms such as prolonged cough that would interfere with his/her school performance please keep him/her home until they are able to resume normal activities.
  11. Rashes-(Hand, Foot, Mouth, and 5th Disease and any unusual rash) Return to school after Rash has been determined non contagious by health care professional, no fever for 24 hours , and the child is able to resume normal activities.

Please remember that our district is a tobacco free school. Please refer to your building handbooks for additional details. If you are wanting to quit using tobacco we can help. KanQuit! is a program available to you sponsored by the Kansas Tobacco Use Prevention Program. Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW.